Friday, February 14, 2014

February Preview: Baseball movie reviews and SPRING TRAINING

Well folks, it's February. I'd just like to take this quick post to give you a heads up about what's coming up on the blog this month.

Chapter 1: Love is in the air. 

First, I will review the movie Fever Pitch, as part of my monthly baseball reviews.

I felt like Fever Pitch was fitting for this time of year, since love is in the air, and other cliches of that sort. Yes, it's Valentines Day, and I've worked on defining five different groups of people that surround this holiday.

1.) Couples who LOVE it: They go all out. They buy flowers, they make nice dinner reservations, they don't spare a penny.
2.) Couples who HATE it: My first ex and I both hated Valentines day, it was perfect, we did nothing.
3.) Couples where one person LOVES it, and the other HATES it: My second ex loved the hell out of this holiday. We actually went and saw the movie *gag* Valentines Day on Valentines Day. Talk about a cliche.
4.) Single people who hate it: Basically, me.
5.) Single people who love it: I can't fathom why they would.

As for what Valentines Day means to me, I've been single for four years and counting. My last Valentines Day, in Feb of 2010 consisted of a broke, high school attending me treating my girlfriend at the time to a lovely meal at Boston Pizza (I was young and poor, cut me some slack.) We then took in a terrible romance movie, and finished the night off watching even more terrible romance movies. It wasn't my kind of night.

Today, right now, what Feb 14 means to me is that we're about 10-15 days away from SPRING TRAINING!

This is a great time of year for a sports fan like myself, the hockey season is in full swing (though is stalled at the moment with the Olympics, which are also awesome,) and Spring Training is just around the corner, meaning the baseball season will be here soon.

But I realize that not everyone hears "February 14" and gets excited about Spring Training. So whichever of the five groups listed above you belong to, have fun and be safe tonight. Please, just try to keep the cheesy Facebook, and Instagram pictures to a minimum, would ya?

Chapter 2: Black History Month

February is also Black History Month. If you think about it, it wasn't THAT long ago when a young man by the name of Jackie Robinson made history, becoming the first African-American to play in Major League Baseball. 

In honour of his achievements, I'd like to also review the movie 42, which tells his story from the early days, until he became a household name. I'd like to look at it from the standpoint of it's historical accuracy, some of the minor controversies that came with it, and his general contribution not only to the game of baseball, but to human rights as we know it today. 

It's also reading week for us here in Canada, technically our Spring Break, even though it's -30 outside. I'd just like to make a quick shout-out to my fellow CreCommers and tell them to have a fun and safe reading week. Get everything you need to have done finished, but also find some time to unwind.

No comments:

Post a Comment