Thursday, March 6, 2014

"Sargent & Victor & Me"

This is another blog post that I'm required to do for school, it's about a play that we saw the other day called Sargent & Victor & Me. A one woman play by Debbie Patterson.

What works in this play?

It was very well acted, and very well done. I was a bit lost during the beginning, but I was mostly wondering where the story was going to go. Though I didn't understand how the separate stories were linked to one another at first, I knew that they were going to come together eventually. I really liked the different viewpoints that she brought to the table. 

The old man was a nice representation of how the area used to be. I think it was important to include a history of the area, but it was also nice to hear it through an actual character. Using a character to tell the audience about how the area used to be is much more creative then just providing one for the audience. 

It was also impressive how she was able to distinguish the characters, not only by changing her voice, but changing the lighting, her mannerisms, and different props that defined the characters, like the racist old lady's tea cup, or the old lady's cane. 

I found myself growing fond of some of the characters, trying to identify with them, like Theresa, and Gillian. Others I didn't like, such as Sharon Good, or the pastor (who seemed a bit condescending when it came to Gillian's ailment.) However, the reactions that these characters elicited from me where the reactions that she was hoping to get, as pointed out by her answer to Dustin Pernitsky's question. 

I didn't understand the metaphor of the West End and her disease until the part with the dandelion. The play all tied together when she mentioned that the metaphor wasn't directly related to the West End, but instead it was about overcoming the adversity of her disease, and the adversity that the West End is facing. 

The news stories were really cool as well, they were integrated so well, and they were obviously strictly related to the area of town that they play takes place in. 

What does not work?

I thought that the play was very well done. I was a bit confused at the beginning - as I noted above - but the play came together nicely. There wasn't a lot that didn't work, it was very well done. 

Comparison

I haven't seen a play since I went to the high school musical that my brother was in three years ago. I've never been the theatre type, aside from my performance as the Rat King in the Nutcracker in grade 5. 

100 per cent transparency, I didn't expect the play to be very good. When I heard it was a one woman show, I almost cringed and thought "oh man, I could be doing homework, or playing Xbox right now," but I really enjoyed it. It was very well done, and her performance all the characters was very good. I liked the way she interacted with the audience. It made you feel like you were part of the play, as opposed to just an observer.  

How did it affect me?

It didn't really shed any new light on the area, or its troubles for me, I know what it's like and I've followed the news stories. But it did provide me with a first hand, real account of a person who's become victim to the streets of the West End. Seeing Theresa's story acted out in a creative way was a cool way to imagine what she was like. I found myself closing my eyes and picturing what the characters looked like when she was speaking in the different character's voices. 

Overall, I really enjoyed the play, I didn't have a lot of complaints aside from the beginning which was a bit murky and confusing, but it all came together nicely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment