Monday, January 6, 2014

Sports Culture: Chris Kluwe and the Minnesota Vikings

"Sports culture" is a term that I've wrestled with over the past five years or so.

For me, "sports culture" is an enigma that I can't seem to solve. When I think of this term, I think of my former and current teammates. I think about how some of them have become my friends, some haven't, and some, I just don't care for. I also think about some of the horrible things I've heard in the locker-room by both my coaches, and my teammates. I think about how I've been told my entire life that those things are just part of "sports culture."

A question I've neglected to ask the people who've told me that is: what does "sports culture" even mean? 

I've written about this topic before, both on this blog and in University. My interest was peaked this past week when I read about former Minnesota Viking's punter Chris Kluwe, who wrote a piece for Deadspin claiming that his advocacy for gay rights was most likely the reason that he was let go by the Vikings, after the conclusion of the 2012 season. 

Mike Priefer (left) & Chris Kluwe (right)
In the piece, Kluwe tells the story of how his former Head-Coach Leslie Frazier tried to silence him when he was speaking out publicly for gay-rights, even though team owner Zygi Wilf approved of Kluwe's actions, to which Frazier responded "Well, he writes the checks. It looks like I've been overruled."

He also tells stories of Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer, claiming that Priefer used homophobic language when in Kluwe's presence, and would purposely use this language to try and get a rise out of him. 

Kluwe quotes Priefer in the piece, claiming that he said, "We should round up all the gays, send them to an island, and nuke it until it glows." 

Kluwe also adds, in reference to Priefer and his coaching career, "It's inexcusable that someone would use his status as a teacher, and a role model to proselytize on behalf of his own doctrine of intolerance, and I hope he never gets another opportunity to pass his example along to anyone else." 

I can't say for sure that Kluwe was fired for his gay-rights advocacy, but I will say his firing was suspicious. Kluwe's statistics were pretty much the same in 2012 that they had been throughout his career, but he was only let go after he became a vocal advocate for gay-rights. But then again, we can't pass judgement without a more expanded pool of knowledge on his firing. Maybe the Vikings found an upgrade at his position? Perhaps they found someone younger to take his spot? Or maybe it was just time for the team to move on. There are other possibilities for Kluwe's firing.  

I do not take issue with Kluwe being cut, because I don't know the real reason for it. But I think his accusations bring a much bigger problem to light; whether Kluwe's accusations are true or not, homophobia exists in sports. There's no dancing around it, it's there. I've heard coaches use homophobic language when talking to their players, and I've heard players use it when talking to one another. I've witnessed teammates been called a "fairy" (among other words that begin with "f") for making a mistake during games, but unlike Chris Kluwe, I never had the guts to stand up for what I thought was right, which was a mistake on my part.  
In a world that's growing increasingly aware of human rights and human dignity, sports could find itself left by the wayside if it doesn't evolve. If Kluwe's claims are true, I hope those involved are reprimanded properly. Sport needs to evolve to become more accepting and more open. Sport needs more people like Chris Kluwe, or Patrick Burke - who is a co-founder of the You Can Play project - and another person in sports who isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes in. Sport needs more people to speak out, and it needs those people's organizations to allow them that opportunity. 

Kluwe doesn't seem like the type of person who would make this all up for publicity, though in a way, I hope he did. I hope that he wasn't fired for his activism, and that those offensive things weren't said by his coaches. I hope that this situation is resolved, and those who have done wrong are held accountable for their actions. I hope it will inspire organizations to afford their employees with the opportunity to speak out on issues that they feel are important.

Athletes should be able to speak out on issues they care about without it affecting their job. If they do, perhaps "sports culture" can become more clear in it's definition, and include acceptance as part of it.  

Opinions? Do you think Kluwe was fired because of his gay-rights advocacy? Or is there another reason for his firing? 






   

No comments:

Post a Comment