Monday, April 21, 2014

A look back on my first year in CreComm

This is a post about my first year in CreComm (which is why I started this blog.) It's certainly been great at times, other times its been stressful. All-in-all I'll say this:

It's been the most fulfilling experience of my life.

In my six months or so here, I've met some really good people. I've enjoyed all of my classes, and most of the assignments.

CreComm has introduced me to some of the most genuine people I've ever met, and I feel like a better person just for knowing you all. I found pretty quickly that if you're open with people it's easy to make friends.

When I first came to CreComm I didn't know what to expect. I heard rumours that it was like a family, and that you would make new friends but I wasn't sure. I've never been the sheltered type and I've generally gotten along with most people I've met. As everyone else was when we started this program in September, I was shy.

But it's easy to be open with people who are so nice and welcoming. In no time I made friends.

After the first semester concluded I wasn't happy with myself. I wasn't where I wanted to be but more importantly I wasn't where I knew I could be. I struggled with my marks, I found myself questioning my abilities, questioning my work ethic. I thought to myself, "maybe this program isn't for me, maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew."

After speaking with a few people I decided to stay and work to get better.

Boy am I glad I did.

After the thoughts of quitting, what brought me back was the people in my life, and I'd like to wrap up this post by thanking them.

• I want to thank my instructors for helping me along whether it was an assignment I was struggling with, or just needing someone to talk to. I want to thank them for being honest, straightforward and for giving me the skills and confidence necessary to work harder.

• I want to thank my family (Mom, Dad, Rachel, Graham & extended family) for supporting me through this first year. Especially my mom, who'd text me worried when I had to stay at the school late.

• I want to thank my friends for being patient with me. This school year I've missed birthdays and other parties/get-togethers because there was so much going on. Thanks for sticking by me, you guys.

• Most importantly I want to thank my fellow classmates. Getting to know you all over the past six months has been amazing, and I'm proud to say I've made a lot of new friends. We've all worked our asses off this school year and it's safe to say we all deserve a break. You are some of the best people I've ever met, and working with you all has been an honour.

As far as the magazine project goes, I want to thank the CHARGE team. You made the stress of that project completely bearable because we had an amazing group of people to work with. Thank you, Cella, Brina, Derrick and Emily. You all kick so much ass.

Seeing everyone's magazines turn out totally awesome was just the highlight of what's been a great year. Some of you I still don't even know all that well, but I'm proud of every single one of you. It's going to be a pleasure moving forward with you all.

This has been a stressful and challenging but equally enjoyable and fulfilling school year. I want to thank you all for making it so great.

1 comment:

  1. Awe... This was such a lovely a blog post. Love ya, Burns!

    ReplyDelete